Waiting for Viva
WAITING FOR VIVA
This might be a very difficult time of your life. You are worried, scared, anxious, and restless. However, while you are waiting for your viva, your fate is already sealed in the examiners’ evaluation form sent to your institution by the examiners. You are called for an oral examination to confirm your destiny based on your presentation and performance. Now you are given a chance to prove yourself and that your thesis is worthy of a PhD.
The following advice might be useful while waiting to be called for the viva:
- Read, read, and read your thesis to the point that you should know what information is on what page.
- Make notes of important points such as your contribution, objectives, methodology, main findings and your research problem.
- Know your findings, especially the principal results.
- Invite your friends to a mock presentation.
- Ask your supervisors to prepare a mock viva so that you are better prepared.
- Write down all the comments from faculty members and your supervisors after the mock presentation.
- A few days before the viva, eat nutritional food so that you will be mentally and physically more alert.
- Do exercise regularly to keep fit.
- Sleep early and wake up early to revise your notes on the day of the viva.
- Have confidence in yourself; believe that you are a scholar and everything is fresh in your mind and that you can do it
Six Mistakes of PhD Candidate
- Takes things for granted and wastes time to much.
- Planning and opportunities are wasted.
- Objectives for doing PhD is not clear.
- Ignores the advice of supervisors.
- No record of note taking along the journey.
- Approaching unqualified person for an advice.
- Six Solutions for PhD Candidate
- Your times are numbered. Don’t waste time. Three years finishes fast. Make a time table and work on it.
- You have so many golden opportunities, plan and use it wisely so that you finish your thesis on time.
- You must have an objective for doing your PhD What do you want to accomplish? You want to be a teacher or a scholar or a business planner. So, your ultimate objective is crucial in finishing your PhD
- Meet your supervisors regularly and follow their guidance. Take notes and date them properly.
- Have a passion for your PhD. Do it in style and non- boring manner. Enjoy it and have a purpose.
- Regularly meet qualified peers and discuss your work. Don’t ask unqualified people so that you will not be confused.
Who is attending your viva?
One internal examiner from your institution
A representative from your faculty
Two or three external examiners
Of course, you, the candidate
Make sure that invite your supervisors to attend your viva. They will provide moral and psychological support.